Saturday 30 March 2013

Doctor Who - The Bells of St John Nail Art

Hello there!

I wasn't going to actually start this blog, it had became something of a shelved project, but then I just really wanted to share the nail art I did for the return of Doctor who tonight in the UK. So without furthur ado, here is my nail art for the episode which will air tonight - 'The Bells of St John'.


Photo taken in daylight.


Okay, so let's go through these one nail at a time.

Thumb - The swingset from the prequel, where The Doctor talks to Clara as a little girl.
First finger - Coffee cup from the 'Hurtling to disaster clip. Because Clara keeps that coffee cup upright and it's downright impressive.
Middle finger - The motorbike helmet and goggles from the official episode image on the website.
Ring finger - The mysterious symbols which are showing up in people's wifi, according to the '#nabileswarning' video.
Little finger - It's difficult to see, but it's a bow tie. Bow ties are cool.


Photo taken in daylight.

Photo taken in daylight. 
The polishes I used are in the photo below. I'll tell you what they are and what they were used for. 


Going from left to right:
-Francesca's Collections unamed blue, used as the base for all my fingers except my thumbs, 2 coats.
-Sinful Colors Snow Me White, used for the coffee cup, wifi symbols and as the base for the lenses of the goggles.
-Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Blue Me Away, used as the base for my thumbs, one coat.
-Collection 2000 Pure Red, used for the swingset. (It's usually much brighter, but its a little sheer so comes out darker over the blue base.)
-Nails Inc Culross Street, used for the grass on my thumbs.
-Ciaté Sharp Tailoring, used for the lenses of the goggles.
-OPI Skyfall, used for the bowtie.
-Barry M Black, used for the helmet and goggles, the bow tie outline and swingset swing.

For base and top coat I used Barry M's 3-in-1 Basecoat, Topcoat and Nail Hardener. This is the first time I've used it as a topcoat and so far I like it. It's quite good as a basecoat too, but I used 2 coats for the blues in this design since they're prone to staining and I've only work pale colours over the Barry M so far.

EDIT: I did this design in the morning, it was finished by about 11:30 maybe? But on my right hand, I've now noticed dents and fabric print in my designs, so I think it didn't set fully. That might be because of the thicker coat of topcoat I used, since I didn't want to smudge the nailart, I just don't know. I've not used the Barry M as a topcoat much yet, so I'll let you know if it keeps happening. 

I hope you liked this design, which was entirely freehanded with a small brush. It took me a couple hours I think.

And of course, now that I've posted once, I'll end up actually using this blog, I just don't know how often, so don't expect regular updates just yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment